Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  November 18, 2011 8:00am-10:00am PST

8:00 am
red carpet. suzanne malveaux. we found out what it's like with wolf blitzer. he's a rock star. at the soul train music awards. malcolm jamaal warner there as well in the picture. people were climbing over their seats trying to get a shot with wolf blitzer from gladys knight to natalie cole. >> i think they called us wolf's angels at one point. >> i called us that. >> he said no, wolfpack. >> okay. we're the wolfpack. it was incredible. >> it's going to be fun to watch. i think it's on sunday. the soul train awards. >> it airs sunday on the 27th. the sunday after thanksgiving. everyone gets a chance to see wolf. >> a special treat. not a dance necessarily this year. but something just as good. >> he showed his moves last year doing the dougie. he was with him again this year. you have to wait to watch it. >> it's much more. >> take care. live from studio 7, i'm suzanne malveaux. want to get you up to speed for friday, november 18th.
8:01 am
it was a hollywood mystery that captured the attention of the world. now after 30 years, startling new allegations in the death of actress natalie wood. the star of west side story and miracle on 34th street drowned in 1981 boating off the california coast with her husband, robert wagner and actor christopher walken. her death was initially ruled an accident. but investigators are now reopening the case. next hour we're going to talk to a man who was right there the night she died. he says that wagner is responsible for her death. and after two months of standing their ground and show of strength by the occupy movement, last night in new york, the question today what is next for the protesters? police arrested more than 200 people across the city yesterday as demonstrators made their presence known on wall street and zuccotti park. huge crowd then marched across the brooklyn bridge. wanting to check out as well the message that protesters beamed
8:02 am
on the side of that verizon building. more rallies as well took place across the country. dozens arrested in similar march frs boston to los angeles. another college rocked by allegations of child molestation. syracuse university has placed associate men's basketball coach bernie fine on administrative leave. the move comes after an espn report that two former ball boys accused fine of inappropriate contact. syracuse says it investigated when an allegation was made back in 2005. in a statement, the school says the investigation included interviews with people, the accuser said would support his claims. but the university quotes "all of those identified denied any knowledge of wrongful conduct by the associate coach." the associate coach vehemently denies the allegations. that story is straight ahead. more men are stepping
8:03 am
forward claiming that jerry sandusky molested them. the former penn state assistant coach is charged with sexually abusing eight boys. the attorney for the latest victim says that the denials prompted these men to step up and come forward. >> as soon as sandusky gave the interview in which he denied the sexual abuse, the numbers of contacts that have been made with us in our office have really ratcheted up dramatically. >> attorney says the claims are legitimate, but police have not yet verified them. angry protesters are back on the streets in cairo, egypt. tens of thousands we're talking about of people turning out in the square to protest a plan that would shield the egyptian military from public oversight. the plan is part of the country's proposed new constitution. the protesters are pushing for presidential elections to be held no later than april of next
8:04 am
year. federal officials are investigating whether a cyber attack caused a water pump to fail in springfield, illinois. that happened last week. now,there's a cyber security expert who has seen the report. he says that water district workers noted glitches in the pump p system about two months ago. a repair company determined that the computer was hacked. the expert says other utilities should be aware and take precautions. after months of rumors, it is official. actress demi moore says she's divorcing her husband, ashton kutcher. they have been married for six years now. kutcher stars in the sitcom two and a half man. he said this. marriage is one of the most difficult things in the world and unfortunately, sometimes they fail. got more on the big story here. the new investigation into child molestation allegations against syracuse university's associate men's basketball coach. the school says it investigated
8:05 am
the accusations against coach bernie fine when they first surfaced in 2005. the university says it found no evidence to corroborate the claims. alina cho is joining us from new york with the details. so alina, give us a sense of how this unfolded, how it came about, where it stands now. >> the reason why it's coming out, suzanne is because there is now a second alleged victim who has come forward. you mentioned this started in 2005. here is what happened. syracuse university's associate men's basketball coach, bernie fine, has now been placed on administrative leave and police in that city of syracuse say they have now reopened an investigation into disturbing allegations of sexual abuse. now, fine allegedly molested two former ball boys. you see him there. bobby davis, the alleged victim number one. now 39 years old. davis told espn's "outside the lines" that the abuse started back in the 1980s.
8:06 am
>> probably when i was -- you know, sixth grade, 11, ten years old. and he started trying to touch me and things like that. you know, honestly, i don't remember if i thought that was what was supposed to happen, you know. i know i cringed up and didn't want it to happen and i was very like what's going on? it was just -- i just remember being disgusted in a sense, you know. that's when everything, you know, when he started trying to touch me, my private. >> davis says the abuse took place at fine's home at syracuse basketball facilities and road trips, including the 1987 final four. now, part of the reason why this is coming out now is because there is now that second alleged victim. it's davis' older stepbrother, his name is mike lang. he's 45 years old. he was also a ball boy at syracuse. he told espn's "outside the
8:07 am
lines" that fine touched him ina poeptly back when he was in the fifth or sixth grade. >> when he first did it, he would move away and you wouldn't say anything because you didn't feel you were capable of saying anything. he's a god to you. he can do whatever he wants. but that wasn't me. i didn't feel right about it. and i told him that bernie, please don't do that to me. and then he would do it again and again. >> meanwhile the first alleged victim, bobby davis, says he first alerted syracuse university officials about six years ago. we had said 2005. the university said it immediately launched its own nearly four-month investigation. interviewed several people and that everyone else involved, including the assistant coach, bernie fine, denied the allegations. that syracuse police ultimately decided not to pursue the case because the statute of limitations had expired. in a statement released last night, syracuse university said
8:08 am
"in light of the new allegations in the syracuse city police investigation, this evening chancellor cantore asked director of athletics to place associate head coach bernie fine on administrative leave" and late last night, jim boeheim released a statement saying in part, "bernie has my full support." suzanne, fine is an institution really in syracuse. he's been part of the basketball program there for 35 years. it's the longest streak for an assistant coach in division 1 basketball. he's 65 years old and just last month he was inducted into the greater syracuse sports hall of fame. suzanne? thank you, alina. here's a rundown of stories we're covering. first, the they marched and were ared for their cause. but what's occupy wall street going to do now? and we compare the fight between democrats, republicans to cut the deficit to relatives fighting over thanksgiving dinner. then, most of us pay for our
8:09 am
flights long before we fly. these passengers actually forced to pay mid-flight. also, an over the top ad campaign to stop parents from bringing their babies to bed with them. and later, she was one of hollywood's most glamorous stars until she died in a boating accident. now police are reopening the investigation into natalie wood's death 30 years later. [ stu ] yeah. it's electric. i don't think so. it's got a gas tank right here. electric tank, right over here. an electric tank? really, stu? is that what you pour the electricity in? it's actually both, guys. i can plug in and go 35 miles gas free, or i can fill up and go a whole lot farther. is that my burger? oh. i just got bun. i didn't even bite any burger.
8:10 am
you feel it working, so you know you're ready for whatever the day brings. compared to ordinary toothpaste, you feel a deeper clean. up to a two times cleaner feeling. new crest complete. feel it working.
8:11 am
new crest complete. what are these guys doing? [ horn honks ] could you please not honk while this guy's telling me about his chevy volt? is that that new... is that the electric car? yeah. but it takes gas too. ask him how much he spends on gas. how much does he spend on gas? how much do you spend on gas? how much do i spend on gas? if i charge regularly, i fill up like once a month. he only has to fill up about once a month. [ woman ] wow. that's amazing. i tell you what i can spend. i do my best to make it work.
8:12 am
i'm back on the road safely. and i saved you money on brakes. that's personal pricing. pulling themselves back together today after a night of occupy protests. in new york alone, 245 people were arrested after a stare-down between protesters and police. dozens more were arrested from los angeles to miami. the majority of the demonstrations were peaceful. there were some tense moments and some violence. >> what do you think you've accomplished so far? >> i think we're drawing attention, we're validating this movement. it's a long time coming. people want fairness and justice. we want a new social contract for healthcare, for education. >> were you expecting to get pushed off the sidewalk? >> no. this is a public sidewalk.
8:13 am
>> we were standing on the sidewalk. they were standing on the sidewalk and they pushed and shoved me. i don't know how my glasses got broke. they got broke, i got hit in the stomach with a baton for standing on the sidewalk. >> we like to see them do what the millionaires did the other day when they marched on wash ton. >> the message we're trying to send to new york is we love you and we're with you and we know this is not a movement about urban camping and occupy still thrives. >> so after two month, what is next for the protesters? our own amber lyon at zuccotti park, home base for the movement. >> reporter: we're out in zuccotti park and this man is being told by new york police officers that he needs to remove his cart and his sleeping bag that he brought into zuccotti park. we're seeing a heavily barricaded park this morning after yesterday protesters came through and knocked down some of the barricades.
8:14 am
these are a cymbal of not being allowed to bring tents and tarps as that gentleman brought in the park after they were evicted early tuesday. we're seeing zip ties placed out here to keep protesters from knocking down the barricades and kind of tie them together in a line so that they're not able to do so. we have about a couple dozen diehard protestors, camped out all night despite the fact that it's 38 degrees and they're not allowed to bring blankets into zuccotti. some have used foil coverings and passing out hand warmers, pizza, coffee. just to keep these guys warm. other protesters spent the night and are spending the nights in churches and local homeless shelters. as of today, the protests continue in zuccotti. there are no planned marches, although some say they are planning some smaller marches. nothing like the thousands of people hitting the streets
8:15 am
yesterday. and these guys say if this protest, this movement is going to continue here from zuccotti, as long as it takes because they feel like right now there is a big inequality as far as wealth goes across the u.s. amber lyon reporting from new york, cnn. >> some occupy wall street protesters are on the way back -- on the way from new york to capitol hill. the super committee that is trying to cut the deficit is facing a deadline. it's just five days away. they've got to come up with a plan here. the occupy protoers want to make sure that the bush era tax cuts are not extended as part of the deal. our own felicia taylor with with us from the new york stock exchange. i love this analogy you have going on. the super committee is kind of like a congressional food fight, yes? >> well, kind of. i mean, our idea was to explain what is facing the super committee as americans are gathering for the thanksgiving
8:16 am
feast next week. the deadline is november 23rd. that's the day before thanksgiving. you can kind of think of the super committee, the 12 members as a political family that is literally sitting around a table on congressional hill, at the congress and talk about what the issues are. i mean, amber was talking about the wealth and inequality in the you state and we have leadership imbalances. that's part of the frustration for occupy wall street. >> we have a traditional thanksgiving turkey to represent the budget. the task to slice $1.2 trillion from the federal budget over the next ten years. that's a lot of meat and probably some fat. and that's why the super committee members are having a hard time coming up with the right solution. >> super committee is a political theater. >> there you go. >> it's easier for 12 people to negotiate than 400-something congressmen and 100 senators. >> six very different people on each side. they all represent a different
8:17 am
part of the country. they represent a different point of view. >> some democrats, not all, want to do away with trillions of dollars in the deficit. combining spending cuts with tax increases and an end to tax breaks for the wealthiest. taking away their gravy. >> most republicans are against tax increases. but they do want to take the stuffing out of dozens of federal programs. so those are a few of the issues literally on the table and the republicans and democrats on either side will be working through the weekend. there's a lot for them to get through and unfortunately, some of the market investors are seriously concerned that they won't be able to meet the task at hand and not meet that deadline. so then what happens is those automatic cuts will go into place and nobody wants to see that because there's far too much that can be taken out from both side. >> that's a creative way of showing that. i like that. tell us how the market are looking today. >> it's very quiet here
8:18 am
honestly. we've been going back and forth. very little. up a half a percent on the dow and up a third of one percent on the s&p. there's no real direction for the marketplace because we got to economic fundamentals. there's a lot of concerns about europe. there's no clear path about whether or not the italian and spanish bond yields are going to stay at the high levels they've been. without the new leaders that we've got in greece and italy will be steering things forward. there's a lot of unanswered questions and that budget deal is still unanswered too. people just don't want to take anything off the table right now. they're holding their positions as they go into the weekend. five days left. felicia, check out this story. this is unusual here. you have airline passengers that this flight here, passengers on two chartered jets from india to britain actually were hit up, $200 apiece to continue their trip. so one of the come tell air flights is on a layover to
8:19 am
vienna, they have to pull cash from teller machines and there are various accounts what it was for, the fuel, the fees, whatever. the company that owns the manes are blaming each other for this. the airline now is under investigation. but literally, you know, we pay for peanut and stuff like that. come on, that looked pretty serious. >> that's absurd. that's absurd. what if you didn't pay the money? were you stuck in vienna? >> yeah, you get off. >> you take off and you're not -- >> i just hope they had money for -- i really do. that's pretty scary. we'll see. >> it's frightening. >> are you traveling this thanksgiving? >> i am. >> hopefully, you're not flying. >> i'm praying that they have fuel. >> thanks. have a good weekend. one thing you never have to pay for when you go to a hotel is the soap. in fact, you get a new one every morning. kind of makes you feel guilty. well, one of cnn's top ten heroes decided he would do
8:20 am
something amazing with all of that waste. we're going to meet him next. you rule! and my kids would be like, you rule! i'd be like, yes, i do rule! ohh! that rules! oh, load up the sleigh; this is going to be a great christmas. yeah. ring dinga-ding, ring dinga-ding, ring, ring, ring me up. [ male announcer ] no need to wait with our christmas price guarantee. we're so confident in our prices if you do find a lower one between now and christmas, we'll give you the difference on a walmart gift card. save money. live better. walmart. ♪ that's good morning, veggie style. hmmm [ male announcer ] for half the calories -- plus veggie nutrition. could've had a v8. is for more than dandruff. how it gives me a healthy scalp and great looking hair. but who used mine up? it was hines. seriously? you lying fool. [ male announcer ] head & shoulders: seven benefits, every bottle.
8:21 am
8:22 am
how many times you go to a hotel, you get a bar of soap every morning and you don't think much of it? one man thought it was a huge waste and started the global soap project. he collects partial used hotel soap and sends it to poor countries where children get sick because they don't have access to soap. he's a cnn top ten hero. derrick cayongo joins us now. every single time more and more soap, a tremendous waste. how did you come up with the idea? >> in a sense, of a rough place.
8:23 am
i'm a former refugee from uganda to kenya. it's when i first saw this incredible need for hygiene. soap is one of the first lines of defense against disease. so i figured, this is the best way to actually do this is to find soap for people. then i came to the u.s. and checked into a hotel and so then they had three bars of soap in there. hand washing soap, facial soap, body soap. i wondered why americans need soap for every part of their bodies. here we are. i decided as i left the hotel, i asked what do you do with the partially used bar? they said we throw those away. oh, my goodness, we got to do something about this. that's how the idea began. >> how do you reprocess partially used soap so it's good for other people to use. >> you start by getting the hotels to buy into it. they give to you and we use potato peelers to peel off the first layer of the soap and get
8:24 am
to the inside parts and break them down into particles and then put them back into the machine and heat them up to about 150 degrees and out comes a fresh new bar of soap. which we take out of the batch and take a bar and ship it to a lab in connecticut where we test for pathogens to make sure we didn't make mistakes or anything like that. then we are able to send it out. it's a simple process. they have a little trick in there as well. >> what's that little trick? >> i can't tell you. industrial secret. >> okay. secret ingredient. >> yes. >> where do the bars of soap go to? how do you decide who needs this most? >> it starts with the poor of the poorest. there's a lot of poor people around the world. these are people who live on a dollar or less a day. they're refugees. the huge problem in the horn of africa where people are moving from place to place, they need hygiene. they don't work now. they don't have money. they're the ones that we give soap to.
8:25 am
we partner with an organization that work with them. like the americas out in connecticut or the one based in atlanta. that's how we work to get the soap to the poor. >> i don't think people realize that kids die because they don't -- they are not able to wash their hands. not able to be that level of hygiene that's really necessary to be healthy. >> yeah. you know, the center for disease control here has recently talked about the issue of hand washing, even in the u.s. we lose two million kids every year to lower respiratory diseases like diarrhea. the center for disease control and in fact the unicef say that the biggest way to stop that from happening is by getting them a bar of soap. you could stop diseases from infecting the kids by 40% if you put a bar of soap in their hands. that is very critical. mothers, mothers need soap. this is what we're trying to do. >> derrick, you've done great work already. we wish you the very best. you are truly a hero. >> cheers. go to cnn heroes.com now
8:26 am
on-line or your mobile device to vote for the cnn hero who inspires you the most. all ten ln honored live at cnn heroes, an allstar tribute hosted by anderson cooper on sunday, december 11th. an ad campaign to stop parents from bringing their babies to bed with them. so what do pediatricians say? we're going to ask one straight up ahead. ♪
8:27 am
it's true. you never forget your first subaru. not financially. so we switched to the bargain detergent, but i found myself using three times more than you're supposed to and the clothes still weren't as clean as with tide. so we're back to tide. they're cuter in clean clothes. thanks, honey. yeah. you suck at folding. [ laughs ] [ female announcer ] just one cap of tide plus bleach gives you more cleaning power than six caps of the bargain brand. visit facebook.com/tide to learn about special offers. that's my tide. what's yours? it's good. honey, i love you... oh my gosh, oh my gosh..
8:28 am
look at these big pieces of potato. ♪ what's that? big piece of potato. [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup.
8:29 am
here's a rundown of stories we are working on next. the boy known as victim one in the penn state sex scandal went to a high school where jerry sandusky was a volunteer coach.
8:30 am
going to take to you the school in search of answers. a new ad raises questions about the safety of our babies who sleep with parents. is it a good idea? in our next hour, investigators reopen the natalie wood drowning case. was it an accident or murder? we're going to hear from the captain of the boat wood was on on the night she died. i want to go beyond the headlines and dig deeper into the penn state molestation case. the boy known in the grand jury report as victim number one went to authorities during his freshman year of high school. jerry sandusky was a volunteer coach at central mountain high. cnn went looking for the answers there. >> i'm susan candiotti from cnn. >> yes, you may. thank you very much. i'm here today because you were singled out for praise actually by the -- i don't need to tell you, by the attorney general in pennsylvania as well as by the grand jury for the school's quick action in responding to allegations of abuse. we would very much like to talk
8:31 am
to you about that. but also to the principal of course. also talk about some other questions that i'm not sure whether you're aware of that have come to light. thank you. this is from your lawyer. is that -- >> no, ma'am, it is not. >> is that the principal? >> no, it is not. >> we would like to ask you to please leave us. we're about to dismiss school. >> all right. >> we don't want you in and amongst the students. >> can i leave my card for the principal? >> thank you. >> may i ask who you -- obviously, you work at the reception desk. assistant principal. may i just ask who you are? >> guidance counselorment. >> thank you. can you speak with us also? >> no, i don't think so. >> do you know, the mom had also said that the -- that she was told at first you might want to think twice about doing this because jerry sandusky has a big
8:32 am
heart. >> again, ma'am, we would ask that you refer to this statement and on the advice of our attorney, we're sharing that with you. and we ask that you leave at this time. again, our students are about to be dismissed. we'll be talking with debra donovan rice from stop it now, the organization is working to get laws on the books too require people to report the sexual abuse of children to police. this image, based on his size, fat joe, not so big anymore. the rapper explains why he slimmed down in today's human factor report. ople. 'cuz robots work for free. robot 1:good morning... robot 1:...female child. sfx: modem dial-up noise woman: are there flaws? yeah, um, maybe. anncr: there's an easier way to save. anncr: get online. go to geico.com. get a quote.
8:33 am
15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance. ♪ feel the power my young friend. mmm! [ male announcer ] for unsurpassed fruit and veggie nutrition... v8 v-fusion. could've had a v8. and who ordered the yummy cereal? yummy. [ woman ] lower cholesterol. [ man 2 ] yummy. i got that wrong didn't i?
8:34 am
[ male announcer ] want great taste and whole grain oats that can help lower cholesterol? honey nut cheerios.
8:35 am
stories across the country. two police officers in albuquerque, new mexico have been fired, could face criminal charges after the release of this video. you see the officers appear to be celebrating after one of them
8:36 am
kicked a suspect in the head more than a dozen times. the suspect is accused of stealing a car. in florida, a school bus driver gets a one-day suspension for texting while driving. yeah, it happened two months ago. before then, parents had complained about the driver for other reasons. the school decided to put a surveillance camera on that bus. in massachusetts, ugly scene at a high school soccer game. just watch this. players, fans, parents all getting involved in a huge fight. police, they were called in to break up the brawl. the game was called off. there is an invitation only funeral for rapper heavy d in new york at this hour. the singer lovingly known as the over weight lover collapsed and died at his beverly hills home last week. the coroner has not announced the cause of death. mary j. blige, p diddy are among those attending the service today. a serious health problem,
8:37 am
rapper fat joe, he's slimming down. determined to lose weight after obesity led to the deaths of half a dozen friends. our dr. sanjay gupta has today's human factor story. >>. ♪ >> you know, i was talking to my trainer yesterday and i realized that he said, when was the last time you were slim? i swear to god, i think when i was a month or two months old. i was fat joe ever since. >> fat joe, joey crack, joseph antonio cart hen i can't. he grew up in public housing and was taught that food equals love. >> so when joe hit the big time, he felt he deserved all the good food his lavish lifestyle could afford. >> i'm rich now. i can go to mr. chow's and eat all the lobster and steak i want. >> then in 2000, joe's friend
8:38 am
and fellow rap star suffered a fatal heart attack. >> i think i weighed about 450, 460 in my heaviest. i took pride in that. i represented the big people. my name was fat joe. i realized at a certain point all my big people were dying. >> last year alone, six of joe's friends died of heart attacks. most were younger than him. but just about the same size. >> i couldn't see a clearer picture of me being, what's the difference between me being in a casket and my daughter running around the funeral home and you know, she doesn't have a dad no more? >> so joe is eating healthier food in smaller portions. more frequently throughout the day. even when he's on the road. he's lost 100 pounds and counting. >> this is breaking news. sanjay. this is like my best, best, best friends on the earth don't even know this. you know, i was diabetic for 16 years since i was 14.
8:39 am
and being that i lost weight, no more diabetes. >> when he's not working nowadays, chances are you'll find fat joe at the gym. but even though he's dropped the pounds, fat joe says he has no intention of dropping the name. dr. sanjay gupta, cnn, reporting. sanjay gupta, md this saturday, sunday, 7:30 a.m. eastern. he's going to have a close look at healthcare reform and the smartest decisions you can make during open enrollment season. it's an in your face ad campaign. trying to stop parents from sleeping in bed with their babies. we'll talk with experts whether co-sleeping is as dangerous as this ad claims. progresso. it fits! fantastic! [ man ] pro-gresso they fit!
8:40 am
okay-y... okay??? i've been eating progresso and now my favorite old jeans...fit. okay is there a woman i can talk to? [ male announcer ] progresso. 40 soups 100 calories or less. it's real milk full of calcium and vitamin d. and tastes simply delicious. for those of us with lactose intolerance... lactaid® milk. the original 100% lactose-free milk. [ female announcer ] we never forget the nearly 12 million cancer survivors in america today... and the countless lives lost. we owe it to them to protect funding for cancer research, prevention and access to care.
8:41 am
congress, make cancer a priority and give millions of americans what they need most. it's like having portable navigation, a bluetooth connection, a stolen-vehicle locator, roadside assistance, and something that could help save your life -- automatic help in a crash. it's the technology of five devices in one hardworking mirror. because life happens while you drive. for a limited time, get an onstar fmv mirror for only $199 after a $100 off. visit onstar.com for retailers.
8:42 am
vietnam, 1967. i got mine in iraq, 2003. u.s.a.a. auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation, because it offers a superior level of protection and because u.s.a.a.'s commitment to serve the military, veterans, and their families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto insurance quote. u.s.a.a. we know what it means to serve. city of milwaukee come up with a controversial ad campaign to stop parents from bringing their babies to bed. experts call it co-sleeping or the family bed. some say it can be deadly for infants. here's the ad. it shows a baby sleeping next to a large knife. the headline reads, your baby is sleeping with you can be just as dangerous. milwaukee's health commissioner says ten babies died this year
8:43 am
in the city because of sleeping in the family bed. joining me is our senior medical correspondent and dr. sears via skype. dr. sears, i'll start with you. you're the author of the baby book. do you agree with the ad campaign? should parents not bring their babies into their beds? >> suzanne, i strongly disagree with this very ininsensitive and unscientific ad. instead of alarming parents about sleeping with their babies, we should be instructing and educating them on how to co-sleep safely. i've been -- we co-sleep with our eight children. i've been teaching this for 40 years in pediatric practice. it's a safe and wonderful place to sleep with your baby providing you follow certain safety precautions. >> tell us about the safety precautions. because clearly, there's a difference of opinion here. some believe it's a very dangerous thing to do.
8:44 am
how do you do that safely? >> safely, suzanne, first of all, for most babies and parents, the safest place to sleep is in a co-sleeper. a bedside bassinet that attaches safely and securely right next to your bed. and that puts mom and baby close to one another for easy comforting and feeding. if you do bed share, meaning sleep in the same bed with your baby, do it only on a safe bed. a firm mattress, not a kauch or wavy waterbed. do not sleep with your baby under the influence of drugs or alcohol or if you smoke. only mothers should sleep with baby because only moms have that awareness of baby's presence. when babies and moms sleep close to one another, babies sleep better because they have less anxiety. mothers sleep better because they're more aware of their baby and they have less anxiety.
8:45 am
babies grow better, babies cry less when they sleep close to mom and when babies cry less, they have less tension, less adrenaline and they sleep better. >> all right. dr. sears, i want to bring in elizabeth here. milwaukee's health commissioner has a very different view of all of this. how is it that they can be so diametrically opposed whether this is a good idea or not. >> milwaukee is taking cues from the american academy of pediatrics. and they're definitive about this. do not sleep in the same bed as your baby and they look at statistics that show that about 73 babies a year die when they're sleeping in an adult bed. about a quarter of the time it's because the parent has rolled over on to them. and the rest of the time maybe the baby is stuck between the mattress and the bed. you see there it's 515 deaths in a 17-year period. a quarter of the time it's because the parents roll over and the rest of the time because the baby is stuck between the
8:46 am
mattress and the head board or the wall or a place like that. >> it's hard to understand how you can have such opposing views on this. it seems like dr. sears says there are some things you can do to make it safer for this to happen. you spoke with the mayor of milwaukee? he weighed in on this as well. >> he would say there isn't a safe way to do it and tell parents not to do it. in addition to this ad campaign, they're offering free cribs to people who can't afford them. this is often an issue with low-income families. they would say there is no safe way. it's sticky. as you can hear, dr. sears thinks that there are safe ways, the nation's leading pediatric group says forget it, don't do it. as a mom, i will tell you. this is a tough one. >> dr. sears, i know you wanted to jump in here. go ahead. >> a co-sleeper, which is a bedside bassinet, is probably the safest for most parents. but remember, every night the world over millions and millions of babies and mothers sleep close to one another and they wake up just fine.
8:47 am
on our website, i ask dr. sears.com. go through the studies that show the safest place for baby and mother to sleep are close to one another, either in a bedside bassinet attached close to the bed or at least within arm's reach of one another for easy comforting and feeding. one of the things i tell moms, i said when in doubt ask yourself, get behind the eyes of your baby. if you were your baby, where would you want to sleep? alone in a dark quiet room behind bars or close to the most important person in the whole world, mom. the choice is obvious. >> dr. sears, i know elizabeth wants to weigh in quickly herement. >> right. i think the american academy of pediatrics would say yes, there are millions of babies that sleep just fine. that might be true. do you really want to run the risk that you're one of them where that baby ends up migrating between the mattress
8:48 am
and the head board and suffocates? just because many babies are fine doing it, doesn't necessarily mean all babies are fine. elizabeth, dr. sears, thank you so much. appreciate your input on this very sensitive subject really. >> it is. emergency room doctors see their fair share, right, of strange cases. some of these you have to see to believe.
8:49 am
8:50 am
all right. anybody who has a dog knows they go through great lengths just to fetch something like a ball or toy. wait until you see bob. there he goes, straight to the bottom of the pool. whoa! looks like a -- there he goes, there he goes. bob's owner in bakersfield,
8:51 am
california says he discovered that bob could do this so one day when they didn't get up to fetch the ball for him so bob, there he goes, took matters in his own hands, paddled to the bottom and back up. this is all the rage on ucht tube. >> i like bob. light bulbs to barbie dolls. right? you won't believe some of the odd stuff that people manage to get inside of them. a new book has x-rays to prove it. >> reporter: may we say this goes here around not in here? an electrical cord x-rayed in somebody's gut? and there are 100 of these. what was the gun doing up there? >> with the tuna can lid. >> reporter: the x-rays are in a new book "stuck up," 100 objects inserted and ingested in places they shouldn't be. co-you a norred by this emergency room physician and two other doctors. we doubt the patient's going to be able to pass the salt or the
8:52 am
pepper mill or the eggbeater or the chopsticks? >> most commonly we do see long, slender objects. because that is the most form fitting. >> reporter: we're not going to dwell on o how these every day objects ended under where the sun don't shine. most of the time it was not an accident, though often that's what people claimed. >> i accidentally fell on an object. that's probably the most common accidental story you'll hear. >> reporter: and who hasn't sat on their glasses, really, really hard, while nude. the doctors say the x-rays are real, though outlines of some objects are graphically enhanced so the reader can easily see them. everything from a computer mouse to a cassette tape. >> that was definitely an older x-ray. >> reporter: a more recent e ray displays an ipod nano. we can only imagine its play list. so how did that gun get stuck in the middle? >> certain people love their guns. >> reporter: the good news --
8:53 am
>> it was not loaded. >> reporter: no, maybe the patient was. and you thought a light bulb went off in your head. how about this light bulb in someone's gut? and this string of christmas lights. the series "scrubs" did a whole episode on the subject. >> this kid has a light bulb up his butt or his colon has a great idea. >> reporter: "scrubs" accurately described how to remove a light bulb. >> thread an angioplasty past the bulb, then inflate it and pull. >> what's the best tuna -- chicken of the sea. >> reporter: where that knew lid rolled up like a cigar ended up. but the doctor's favorite objects are action figures. poor buzz lightyear from "toy story." he said beyond, not behind. and this is barbie. but it isn't her dream house she's in. jeanne moos, cnn -- >> hey, do you have a magazine? >> not in me -- i mean on me.
8:54 am
we've seen the brash and bold herman cain and the wise cracking candidate as well. but cain, tears in his eyes now. what got him all choked up. but first, college is supposed to be the time to hit the books. most people. but what do majors devote their most time for their studies? a new poll says that business majors spend the least amount of time studying, followed in sixth place by students majoring in social sciences, fifth, education, in fourth place, arts and humanities, coming in third biological sciences. second most amount of time spent studying -- physical sciences. who studies the most while in ch college? that answer in a moment. wanna know the difference between a trader and an elite trader?
8:55 am
it's this... the etrade pro platform. fast. beautiful. totally customizable. finds top performing stocks -- in three clicks. quickly scans the market for new trading ideas. it can even match options strategies to your goals and lets you see the potential risk and reward. and, it also comes with a dedicated elite service team. got it? get it. good. introducing new etrade pro elite. ♪
8:56 am
my son and i never missed opening day. but with copd making it hard to breathe, i thought those days might be over. so my doctor prescribed symbicort. it helps significantly improve my lung function, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. with symbicort, today i'm breathing better, and that means... game on! symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. [ whistle ] with copd, i thought i might miss out on my favorite tradition. now symbicort significantly improves my lung function, starting within 5 minutes. and that makes a difference in my breathing.
8:57 am
today i'm back with my favorite team. ask your doctor about symbicort. i got my first prescription free. call or click to learn more. [ male announcer ] if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. all right. so before the break we told you what college majors devote the most time to their studies. who cracks the books the most? engineering majors. study reveals that would-be engineers study the most. but they spend less time in non-school activities like he shalling earning money and caring for family members. secret service is now protecting presidential candidate herman cain. cain's campaign asked for the protection and the secret service says he met the criteria. cain is the first gop candidate in the 2012 race to get the federal protection. he also tops our political ticker update today.
8:58 am
so jim acosta, from the political desk in washington, tell us what this is about and also some of the emotions that we've seen from herman cain lately. >> reporter: yes. the cain campaign requested this and the secret service obliged. is not all that unusual. then-senator obama got secret service protection very early back in the '08 election cycle. actually earlier than any other candidate in american political history. so it's not that unusual that herman cain would get this kind of protection but it has been a tough couple of weeks for herman cain, suzanne. it should not come as any surprise that the conservative businessman got a little emotional on the campaign trail this week in an interview with wmur in new hampshire. cain got choked up when he was talking about the prospect of his wife holding the bible at his inaugural address if that happens. here's what he had to say. >> holding the bible and i'm
8:59 am
going in. emoti emotional, huh? >> there you go. and later in the day cain takes an interview on late show with david letterman. he was in much better spirits joking around about his 9-9-9 plan. take a listen. >> i mean i like it, it's clever, 9-9-9. it's fun. >> and it works. it works. >> and you ought to get some sort of toll-free number, herman cain -- you dial 9-9-9, you get a free pizza. come on! what are we talking about? >> you know what you're going to get? instead of a free pizza when you dial 9-9-9, you're going to be able to get a job. >> there you go. herman cain staying on message. as you know, having been out on the campaign trail, there are ups and downs on the campaign trail and herman cain knows that that is not an exception for him. >> he's experiencing a lot of
9:00 am
that early on. we'll see how that goes for him in the months ahead. tell us a little bit about rick perry. he's now criticizing president obama for what he is calling a privileged upbringing? >> well, yeah. it is interesting, suzanne. ever since president obama made that comment that republicans are really seizing on, the lazy comment out in hawaii, republicans have been going after the president on that and rick perry is having a field day with the comment that president obama made at a business summit in hawaii this week. the president said the u.s. business community has gotten "lazy" in promoting american interests and here's a fuller context of what the president had to say. >> we've been a little bit lazy i think over the last couple of decades. we've kind of taken for granted, well, people will want to come here and we aren't out there hungry selling america trying to attract new businesses into america. >> reporter: now rick perry's running an ad that accuses of president of calling americans lazy. but we should point out, suzanne, the respected website
9:01 am
factcheck.org says perry is taking the president's words out of context. but make no mistake, this is not the last that we're going to hear about that controversy. >> all right, thank you, jim. tune in to cnn tuesday night at 8:00 eastern. cnn's wolf blitzer is set to host the gop candidates in washington for a fresh new debate. one of the main topics -- national security. top of the hour, i'm suzanne malveaux. want to get you up to speed. another college rocked by allegations of child molestation. syracuse university has placed associate men's basketball coach bernie fine on administrative leave. the move comes after an espn report that two men accused fine of inappropriate contact when they were boys. here's what one of them told the network. >> he started trying to touch me and things like that. and honestly, i don't even rememberfy thought that what was
9:02 am
supposed to happenpy i know i cringed up and didn't want it to happen. it was like what's going on. i just remember being disgusted. >> syracuse says it investigated when an allegation was made back in 2005. so in a statement the school says that the investigation included interviews with people the accuser said would support his claims but the administration says, "all of those identified denied any knowledge of wrongful conduct by the associate coach." the associate coach also vehemently denied the allegations. the number of people who say they were molested by jerry sandusky is now growing. more men claim they were sexually abused by the former penn state assistant coach. sandusky is already charged with molesting eight boys. now a lawyer for the men explains why they are coming forward right now. >> when i heard him say that he had not abused or raped or
9:03 am
violated children, i knew that he had not only violated me, but he had put a dagger in high heart and salt in the wounds and deeper wounded my soul than i had ever even realized. >> the attorney says the claims are legitimate but police have not weighed in. the women's basketball coach at oklahoma state university and his assistant have been killed in a plane crash. kurt budke and assistant coach miranda serna seen here were on a recruiting trip when their plane went down about 45 miles from little rock, arkansas last night. after two months of standing their ground, a show of strength by the occupy movement last night in new york. the question today, what's next for protesters? police arrested more than 200 people across the city yesterday
9:04 am
as demonstrators made their presence known. on wall street, a huge crowd marched across the brooklyn bridge. and this message from protesters, more rallies took place across the country with dozens arrested in sim mar larnl similar marches from boston to l.a. protesters are back in the streets of cairo, egypt. tens of thousands of people turned out in ta hir scare. protesters are also pushing for presidential electioned to be held no later than april of next year. secretary of state hillary clinton getting ready for a historic trip to myanmar. she leaves next month. it would be the first visit to that country by a secretary of state in more than half a century. the white house says that clinton's trip is an indication that myanmar has made some
9:05 am
progress towards democracy. and the time could be right to forge a relationship between the two countries. it was a mystery that rocked hollywood. captured the attention of the world. in 1981, actress natalie wood was found floating off a california's catalina coast. after a boating trip with her husband robert wagner and actor christoph christopher walkin. wood was perhaps known as maria from "west side story." ♪ i am pretty ♪ oh so pretty ♪ i feel witty and pretty and gay ♪ >> investigators ruled her death an accidental drowning almost three decades ago, but now they're re-opening the case. here's a look back at original reporting on that story back in 1981. >> reporter: accidental drowning was the official cause of death, but today's news conference
9:06 am
called by chief los angeles county coroner dr. thomas naguchi left several key questions unanswered. first, the facts as he presented them. >> shortly after midnight on sunday morning, she apparently attempted to get on to the dingy, slipped and fell in the water, unable to return to the dingy or the boat. >> reporter: noguchi said there was no evidence of foul play. he did indicate, however, the tests revealed miss wood was technically drunk but continually referred to wood's condition as slightly inebriated. he nevertheless admitted that alcohol might have been one reason why the actress was rendered unconscious. noguchi also said that a heated but non-violent argument had ensued between wood's husband robert wagner and actor christopher walkin a guest on the yacht but noguchi could not
9:07 am
confirm what the argument was about or if indeed it was the reason miss wood decided to leave the ship alone. >> now the captain of the ship where this all went down is talking. the captain of "the splendor" joins us now. we are also joined by author of the book "good-bye natalie, good-bye splendor." you've said repeatedly that robert wagner is responsible for natalie wood's death that night. were you on the boat, you were there. what happened? >> well, what happened was when we got back from the restaurant, well the whole weekend started with a lot of pressure with robert wagner as far as being jealous of christopher walkin. the tension grew through the whole weekend and the first
9:08 am
night that we were there, robert wagner decided that he wanted to move the boat, which was cold, it was raining, there was just terrible, terrible weather. natalie said that she really didn't want to do that, it's kind of unsafe to do that right now because it was very, very dark. so natalie was upset about it and she wants to go ashore. so natalie and i went ashore and we stayed at a hotel. in the morning we returned to the boat, hoping that things would be smoothed over and maybe a little settled down. natalie prepared breakfast for us and we went ahead then and moved the boat down to the other end of the island. so that afternoon christopher and natalie decide they were going to go into the restaurant which was the only place there
9:09 am
was at that part of the island. and so they went ashore and they were having afternoon cocktails, laughing, talking about their movie that they were doing, and later on that day robert wagner and myself, we joined them at the restaurant for dinner. and when the dinner was over and it was time to return to the boat, natalie wanted to stay a little longer, but robert wagner said that we were going to return to the boat and that was it. so we returned to the boat. we got into the salon and the tension was still building very, very strong and christopher and natalie were sitting on the sofa and within -- within a split
9:10 am
second robert wagner picked up a wine bottle and smashed it on the coffee table and yelled out "what are you trying to do? "blank" my wife?" and at that moment christopher got up and went into his state room and natalie was so devastated that she went into her state room and robert wagner followed natalie and they continued arguing in their state room. i went up on the bridge and then turned on the music because i didn't want them to feel like i was eavesdropping on their personal problems at that time. and it was like a lot of physical activity going on in the state room. >> what do you mean? >> well, just noises of movement in the state room. >> like violence? yelling?
9:11 am
>> voices -- yes. and then the argument went to the aft deck and they argued back there for a little while. and then they became silent. so when it became silent i thought, well, maybe things are smoothed over and maybe they've gone to bed. so i waited for a little while and i thought, well, i'll go down and just check. so i went to the aft deck and robert wagner said, natalie's missing, would i search the boat. so i immediately went to my state room thinking she went there because the night before she felt safe with me being with her at an unpleasant time and i came back and i looked in christopher walkin's state room. he was in there by himself. i came back and said to robert wagner and said, she's not here. and he said, well, the dingy's
9:12 am
gone. and i knew that she wouldn't really take the dingy because she was really deathly afraid of water and if anything she would have asked me to take her ashore or do whatever she wanted to do, she would have definitely asked me like she did the night before. >> so what did you suspect at that moment had happened? >> i was trying to believe that maybe she really just did in a rage, maybe she just really got in the dingy and went ashore. i said to robert wagner, i said, well, let's turn on the search light to see if we can see her. he said, no, we don't want to do that right now. i said, well, maybe let's call in to the restaurant and he said, no, he said we don't want
9:13 am
to do anything right at the moment. so we waited and finally after a couple hours, robert wagner called into the restaurant and said no one was there and the restaurant had been closed so they came out "the splendour," and that point they said we need to contact the coast guard and start conducting a search. >> what had you done in those two hours before anybody had contacted the restaurant or police? what was going on on the boat? >> well, it was just robert wagner and myself and -- it was just a very, very unusual situation to be in. i remember robert wagner pouring me a drink of scotch and i really wasn't a scotch drinker. but it seemed like i had more
9:14 am
than one -- more than one drink where it was -- i was getting a numbing feeling and not being able to really think clearly. >> what was his demeanor? what was he like during that time? did he seem sincerely worried or upset that she was missing? >> yes, he did. he had a very unusual look on his face -- very hard to describe, but the whole situation was very strange -- >> you that you and robert wagner came up with a story together, you concocted some type of story and lied to police investigators when they asked what had happened. what did he allegedly ask you to say? >> well, we didn't necessarily
9:15 am
really lie, we just didn't tell everything. and it was agreed that what we spoke about between the three of us is what we were going to tell the investigators. >> so you had a conversation about what were you going to tell investigators. is that right? >> yes. >> and what was that conversation? what did you agree to say? >> just that the argument carried on into the state room, to the aft deck and that natalie was going to untie the dingy to secure it to the boat because it was bothering her sleep and that she must have slipped and fell and bumped her head and went into the water. >> so all three of you agreed to this story that this is what you would tell investigators. is that right? that robert wagner said this is what we need to say? is that right? >> yes.
9:16 am
>> so at the time when she was missing did you suspect that he had pushed her overboard? did you see any kind of evidence that suggested that he might have physically pushed her overboard or was there evidence to think that she had left on her own? >> there wasn't any kind of evidence at all. i just wanted to go with the theory that maybe she did leave the boat because i just couldn't face any other way to think at that time. i felt like i was in shock. >> there were reports that people heard a woman screaming. did you ever hear her scream? did you ever hear her scream for help? >> no, i never heard her scream but again, i was on the bridge of the boat and i had the music on so i wouldn't have been able to hear anything with the music on because i had it on fairly loud so i wouldn't hear their
9:17 am
arguing. >> there were reports as well that there were bruises on her body. did you see her beaten up in any way or bruised when you last saw her on that boat? >> no, i didn't see when she was on the boat she didn't have any bruises. >> i want to bring in the wagner family statement because they are obviously responding to this. the family spokesperson is saying, "they fully support the efforts of the l.a. county sheriff's department and trust they will evaluate whether any new information relating to the death of natalie wood wagner is valid, and that it comes from a credible source or sources other than those simply trying to profit from the 30-year anniversary of her tragic death. mr. daven, i'm sure you are aware that that anniversary is just 1 days away so they are essentially suggesting that this is a way for you and your
9:18 am
co-author to sell more books. >> no, that's not really the way it is. my book came out two years ago and i'm not one that started this investigation. the l.a. county sheriff's department is and i'm trying to tell people my story for many, many years and no one wanted to listen. >> so what has changed here? help us understand this. this is a book you wrote two years ago. you had these details. they came out and you're saying you took it to authorities and no one listened to you for two years? >> well, for more than two years. way more than two years. >> who did you go to? >> when marty and i were working on this project, she h notified people such as the l.a. county sheriff's department -- i'm not
9:19 am
sure, maybe you could ask marty that. >> marty is -- are you guys saying that the l.a. authorities here just didn't follow up, that they just decided to ignore these details or is this the normal course of their investigation now? >> well, this is -- this is different than -- the case is closed for 30 years and when new information would be presented in articles or books, robert wagner wrote a book, told a different story than what he had told the authorities in his book. but the l.a. county detectives, they have plenty of work to do without reading books to see what might have changed in a case. and this was a closed case, so i was hoping it would be upgraded
9:20 am
to a cold case. so i did talk with the lead detective many years ago. i contacted the l.a. county sheriff's department many years ago and i contacted frank salerno who headed up the entire natalie wood case and they listened to me, but they had promised they would help if i could convince them of new evidence, and then they didn't accept the evidence. so the book came out. i figured that was the only way that natalie would receive any type of a voice or justice. and then i wanted more because the l.a. county sheriff's department -- i sent a book but i still hadn't heard from them. >> were you contacted recentlily -- i'm sorry, go ahead. >> well, no, in the past -- i took the past few months -- probably this entire year and i
9:21 am
contacted all of the witnesses i had interviewed and other people and i gathered testimonial statements to send to the l.a. county sheriff and a month later they contacted us and they agreed there's ample evidence to reopen the natalie wood case. >> did you bring any new information -- >> it is just matter of them learning the details. >> are there any new details you can shed light on that evening, any new details that weren't included in this book? >> there are plenty of details. there are so many aspects involved and far too many to explain in an interview and they're all listed in the book. i's hoping that they now read the book and they see the many things that should be looked
9:22 am
into. >> mainly the four-hour wait to call for coast guard help. >> okay. marty, with all due respect, we're not interested in selling more books here. i want to bring in our criminal analyst here, mike brooks, to ask a few questions here because it is a little confusing about whether or not there's any new information that's come out over the last couple of years that would allow l.a. authorities to re-open this case. >> well, mr. davern, in that time line from the time that you saw them go from the state room to the aft deck, what did you hear before that exactly? you said you heard something. was there any hollering? did it sound like anyone was being hit before you retreated to the bridge and turned the music up? >> well, i immediately went to the bridge when they went to their state room and i did hear a lot of yelling, a lot of
9:23 am
physical movement and then it went to the aft deck. >> did you see them go to the aft deck? >> yes. i glanced over the window -- the plastic glass enclosure that goes along the whole back side of the boat. >> did mr. wagner have her physically or did she follow him? how did all that look to you? how did it happen? >> it looked like to me that they were arguing in the state room and they just -- the back door was right at the aft deck. it is just a matter of a couple steps away where maybe walking around arguing, they walked to the aft deck. it wasn't like it was someplace where -- it wasn't like it was like a far-away place. it was only a matter of a couple steps away. >> now the dingy. when you were up on the bridge
9:24 am
with the music up, did you notice -- because the water -- i don't know what the conditions were that night off the catalina island there, did you notice a dingy? did you notice any ripples in the water that would have indicated maybe someone had put the dingy in the water? >> well, the dingy was already in the water. that's how we -- when we returned from the restaurant, that's how we returned is in that dingy. and when we got on the boat, i tide the dingy with two lines, a bow line and a stern line against the swim platform. >> how long after they went to the aft deck did mr. wagner then come to you by himself. just trying to put together the time line here because it is very important with the investigation. >> well, i went to him because when i heard the silence or when it got silent, i thought that maybe they had stopped arguing
9:25 am
so i waited for about ten minutes, and then i went to the aft deck and that's when robert wagner told me to search the boat that natalie was missing. >> well, you said it was silent for a while. i thought you said that you had the music up and you couldn't hear what was going on. >> no. the arguing -- well, could you hear the arguing. i just had the music turned up to where i wouldn't actually hear what they were saying. i didn't want them to think that i was eavesdropping on their personal life. >> but it was loud enough for you to hear from them on the aft deck all the way with you up in the bridge, it was that loud? >> oh, yeah. yes. because the difference between the bridge and the aft deck and their state room is the floor on the bridge is really the ceiling in their state room. and then from the aft deck to the bridge, it's only a plastic
9:26 am
they call it icing glass enclosure. it is like a plastic glass. >> yeah. mr. davern, i have a question here. this four-hour wait before any authorities were contacted, do you regret that you didn't do more to search for natalie wood that evening? >> yes, i do regret. it was like a mistake that i made -- i do regret that, yes, i do. really. >> and finally, we know that you lied to investigators before about this. how do we know you're not lying to us now? >> well, when you say i lied to them before just the three of us, we weren't telling the whole truth. and i have no reason to lie about anything anyway now.
9:27 am
>> okay. well, we appreciate your story. we appreciate as well your account of this. we'll be hearing a lot more about this case. there's actually a news conference by the l.a. sheriff's office. that is happening at 2:00 p.m. eastern so we'll get a lot more information about this developing story. [ adrianna ] when i grill lobster, i make sure it's a melt in your mouth kind of experience. [ john ] the wood fires up the grill a little bit hotter so you really get a good sear and it locks in the juices. surf & turf -- you can't go wrong. [ male announcer ] don't miss red lobster's surf & turf event. choose from three grilled combinations all under $20. like our maine lobster with peppercorn sirloin or our new bacon-wrapped shrimp with blue cheese sirloin for $14.99. [ adrianna ] i think the guests are going to take a bite and be like "oh, man, this is so awesome." [ john ] i'm grill master john mazany. i'm grill master adrianna hollis. and we sea food differently. try bayer advanced aspirin.
9:28 am
it's not the bayer aspirin you know. it's different. first, it's been re-engineered with micro-particles. second, it enters the bloodstream fast, and rushes relief to the site of your tough pain. the best part? it's proven to relieve pain twice as fast as before. bayer advanced aspirin. test how fast it works for you. love it, or get your money back.
9:29 am
gives you the lowest plan premium in the country... so you can focus on what really matters. call humana at 1-800-808-4003. -why? -why? -why? [ female announcer ] we all age differently. roc® multi-correxion 4 zone moisturizer with roc®retinol and antioxidants. lines, wrinkles, and sun damage will fade. roc multi-correxion. correct what ages you. the annual enrollment period ends december 7th. we can help answer your questions. call unitedhealthcare medicare solutions.
9:30 am
cities across the country are pulling themselves back together. in new york alone, 245 people were arrested after a stare-down between protesters and police. dozen were arrests from l.a. to miami. >> what do you think you've accomplished so far? >> i think we were drawing attention and validating this movement. it is a long time coming. people want fairness and justice. we want a new social contract for health care, for education. >> they were standing on the sidewalk and they push and shoved me. my glasses got broke. i got hit in the stomach with a baton for standing on the sidewalk. >> we'd like to see them do what the millionaires did the other day when they marched on washington. >> the message we're trying to send to new york is we love you an we're with you and we know
9:31 am
this is not a movement about urban camping and occupy still thrives. >> the majority of the demonstrations were peaceful but there were some tense moments. there was some violence as well. i want to bring back law enforcement analyst mike brooks to talk about the police response. you and i watched this unfold yesterday afternoon how did nypd do overall? >> i would give them an "a" overall for their restraint and i think they did a good job of handling the crowds because we saw little pockets of violence. for the most part the demonstrators were peaceful. and they got the mess -- but overall i think the nypd did an admirable job. you saw them trying to maintain a low profile. you saw some officers in the arrest teams with helmets on. you saw barricades being thrown
9:32 am
to law enforcement but you only had throughout the day with the thousands of protesters only 245 arrests but you also had seven police officers who were injured. of the four we talked about it yesterday, apparently it was vinegar they believe that it was sprayed in the eyes of the officers. another office her his hand cut by something that was thrown from the crowd. now unfortunately, suzanne, in these crowds you're going to have pockets of people who want to come out there and who want to confront police no matter what. but for the most, you don't. >> let's look at some video here. some are calling this some incidents of police brutality, quite frankly. there's a protesters who is bleeding from the head after being arrested t. the police say they gave this guy a lot of chances before acting. they say he threw a pen at them, a aaa battery. so based on their accounting of this, is that normal police protocol to use that kind of force? does that look like that's too much? >> how did it happen?
9:33 am
we don't know because we didn't see the exact time of the arrest when this guy had taken off his hat. did he run from them? did he fall? we don't know exactly what happened but law enforcement looks into these incidents like this. they have people out there, their own people, videotaping all the arrests, confrontations and if you notice, on the helmets, if they can identify anyone, they have their numbers, their badge numbers on their helmets to help ready identify anyone who is involved in an arrest situation that may look questionable. >> mike, we know, too, that police officers are often put in difficult situations because on one hand they have to do crowd control but the other hand they are the 99%. these guys are working class guys. a lot of them express empathy with -- >> right. a lot of these guys don't want to be out there. these men and women don't want to be out there anymore than anyone else but they have their job to do. >> mike, thanks. sex abuse counselors getting lots of calls in the aftermath of the penn state and now
9:34 am
syracuse allegations against the coaches there. i'm going to talk to head of the group stop it now about why this is.
9:35 am
9:36 am
more men are coming forward to say that jerry sandusky molested them. the former penn state assistant coach already charged with molesting eight boys. lawyer for men say sandusky's denials prompted his clients to go public now. >> there is a pattern that has emerged not only in the folks that have engaged us but the calls we have received that in every instance sandusky used his position of trust and power and his caring ways as a coach an
9:37 am
mentor to groom the families and children. as soon as sandusky gave the interview ghb whi interview, in which he denied the sexual abuse, the numbers of contacts that have been made with us at our office have really ratcheted up dramatically. when you hear sandusky, you really get a glimpse into the mind of the molester. >> the attorney who says the men's claims are legitimate but police are still looking at those cases. want o go beyond the headlines next. we'll try to get new laws on the books that would require incidents like these to be reported to police. we'll be talking to an expert about that. is this a chevy volt? [ stu ] yeah. it's electric. i don't think so. it's got a gas tank right here. electric tank, right over here. an electric tank? really, stu? is that what you pour the electricity in?
9:38 am
it's actually both, guys. i can plug in and go 35 miles gas free, or i can fill up and go a whole lot farther. is that my burger? oh. i just got bun. i didn't even bite any burger.
9:39 am
9:40 am
what are these guys doing? [ horn honks ] could you please not honk while this guy's telling me about his chevy volt? is that that new... is that the electric car? yeah. but it takes gas too. ask him how much he spends on gas. how much does he spend on gas? how much do you spend on gas? how much do i spend on gas? if i charge regularly, i fill up like once a month. he only has to fill up about once a month. [ woman ] wow. that's amazing. we're now going beyond the headlines. first penn state, now the citadel and syracuse university.
9:41 am
they're being forced to deal with accusations of sexual abuse years after the alleged abuse happened. the director of stop it now is a group that seeks to end child sexual abuse. deborah, we are hearing since the penn state case about sexual abuse victims all over the country calling hot lines after sandusky comes out and says he's just horsing around and taking showers with boys. what has been the response? what's been the reaction here? >> well, our contacts to us over the last few weeks since the story broke have increased by 130%. we have a toll-free number that we've had since the mid '90s and we also answer e-mails. people prefer e-mail these days, we are a finding. >> why do you suppose this is happening? are people listening to these cases, other abuse cases, does it trigger something? does it make them think about their own situation or do you
9:42 am
think people feel safer to come forward? what's actually going on? >> well, i think it is the latter. i think that, yes, it does stir up emotions but i also think that having other people already be in the conversation that individuals who are wanting to do something about what they're feeling and thinking is easier for them to speak out. these conversations have been going on across this country for years and years and years, but in isolation. and one of the things that having this story be so public and high-profile is doing is making it more acceptable to talk about this very difficult to talk about issue, one that often people just want to put off to the side and avoid having conversations. >> what do you think of how these matters have been handled? it seems as if they go to campus police. you have the case in penn state. you have the only campus police being alerted to these alleged
9:43 am
sexual abuse charges. at the citadel, you have the school apologizing just this week for not taking these allegations against this camp counselor to city police. does there need to be some sort of law? does there need to be a policy here that automatically says, look, in these kinds of serious cases we don't take it to the campus police, we take it to those who can lock up and arrest these guys? >> well, in every state we have mandatory reporting laws which say who is required to report but they're different from state to state. in every youth serving organization across the country, there are different policies and procedures. i hate to sound sort of bureaucratic but what we need is a standardized way of dealing with the situation when a child discloses or a youth or when there is a suspicion of. so for example, it would be, i think, very helpful to have a
9:44 am
nationwide mandatory law -- mandatory reporting law that is targeting the leadership in youth serving organizations, you know, such as teachers, principals, coaches, but i would not take it so far as to the general public, because our child protection system is already overworked and overtaxed. so anybody can report now. i mean you don't have to be mandated by law to report. you can report. but i think perhaps there was some confusion about what would happen once a report has been made such as -- you know. so i think having some clarity about what happens next and then for all adults to know that even if the system fails, that there are other things they can do. i mean a lot of our calls are from people who have been in these situations where systems fail. >> deborah donovan wright, thank you so much. we appreciate your perspective and obviously some good, if
9:45 am
there can be good to come out of this, is to allow people to come forward without shame and to actually report their abuse. we'll be right back. ( phone ringing )
9:46 am
okay... uhh. the bad news, it's probably totaled. the good news is, you don't have to pay your deductible. with vanishing deductible from nationwide insurance, you got $100 off for every year of safe driving, so now your deductible is zero. the other good news ? i held on to your coffee. wow. ♪ nationwide is on your side ( laughing ) it's actually a pretty good day when you consider. that's great.
9:47 am
9:48 am
say it ain't so. sad day for regis philbin fans. this morning, more than 28 years of morning chitchat on abc, a career that producers say spans 995,600 minutes of television. regis is leaving "live with regis and kelly." his last show aired this morning, he celebrated a fantastic career with a celebrity-filled audience. his family, of course, his co-star kelly caught up with both of them after the show. >> i would say to gel man, isn't this a bit too much farewell to regis? you know, after a while? but i thought it was just wonderful and today with the audience filled with friends of mine that i've known, that i've made here in new york and family
9:49 am
and kids that i grew up with in the bronx a hundred years ago, it was a great, great way to say good-bye. >> wonderful good-bye. he's going to be missed. we are fast approaching the busiest travel time of the year. it means a lot of flying. a new survey asks americans how they feel about reclining seats on the airplane. depends on who's sitting behind them. 15% say they only recline when they're sleeping. 17% of americans think it's rude to recline under any circumstance. 27% think that seats shouldn't recline at all. but is it your right it recline? what they had to say about that up next. thank you so much, i appreciate it, i'll be right back. they didn't take a dime. how much in fees does your bank take to watch your money ? if your bank takes more money than a stranger,
9:50 am
you need an ally. ally bank. no nonsense. just people sense. but my nose is still runny. [ male announcer ] truth is, dayquil doesn't treat that. really? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus fights your worst cold symptoms, plus it relieves your runny nose. [ deep breath] awesome. [ male announcer ] yes, it is. that's the cold truth! they won't be beat. oh, actually... then i'd be like, you rule! and my kids would be like, you rule! i'd be like, yes, i do rule! ohh! that rules! oh, load up the sleigh; this is going to be a great christmas. yeah. ring dinga-ding, ring dinga-ding, ring, ring, ring me up. [ male announcer ] no need to wait with our christmas price guarantee. we're so confident in our prices if you do find a lower one between now and christmas, we'll give you the difference on a walmart gift card. save money. live better. walmart. try smart balance buttery spread. it's heart-healthier than butter.
9:51 am
with omega-3s. 64% less saturated fat. and clinically proven to help support healthy cholesterol. ♪ put a little love in your heart ♪ at liberty mutual, we know how much you count on your car and how much the people in your life count on you. that's why we offer accident forgiveness, man: good job. where your price won't increase due to your first accident. we also offer a hassle-free lifetime repair guarantee, where the repairs made on your car are guaranteed for life or they're on us. these are just two of the valuable features you can expect from liberty mutual. plus, when you insure both your home and car with us, it could save you time and money. at liberty mutual, we help you move on with your life. so get the insurance responsible drivers like you deserve. looks really good. call us at... or visit your local liberty mutual office,
9:52 am
where an agent can help you find the policy that's right for you. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? survey says 25% say they think seats should not recline. more than 23 million americans are predicted to be flying over the thanksgiving holiday weekend. i'm one of those folks. her dream was to become a ballerina and she refused to be held back because of the color of her skin. we'll see how this young lady is sharing her passion for dance with the next generation.or nt are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands.
9:53 am
this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy.
9:54 am
9:55 am
checking other stories we are are covering across the country -- two police officers in albuquerque, new mexico, have been fired and could face criminal charges after the release of this video. the officers appear to be celebrating after one of them kicked a suspect in the head more than a dozen times. the suspect is accused of stealing a car. in florida, a school bus driver gets a one-day suspension for texting while driving. yeah. it happened two months ago. but before that, parents had complained about this driver for other reasons so the school decided to put a surveillance camera on the bus. "cnn newsroom" continues right now after the break. [ umpire ] strike 3. you're out!
9:56 am
[ cheers and applause ] [ playing out of tune ] [ playing in tune ] [ male announcer ] at mcdonald's®, we support the community by giving to programs that bring out the best in our youth... ...because we believe when you feed the competitive spirit... ...it enriches the entire neighborhood. the simple joy of being deeply rooted. ♪
9:57 am
you can put a force field on him and be invisible! [ child 2 ] i call first player. no. i already called it. [ dad ] nobody's playing anything until after we get our homework done. thank you. hello? test drive's not over yet. [ male announcer ] it's practically yours. [ louder ] hello? but we still need your signature. right now during sign then drive it's never been easier to get the all-new passat, the 2012 motor trend car of the year, for practically just your signature. that's the power of german engineering. visit vwdealer.com. that's the power of german engineering. [husband:] getting cold out here. [wife:] in here too. we need more affordable energy in this country. we need to protect the environment. what about the economy? what about our planet? [announcer:] at conocophillips, we're helping power america's economy with cleaner, affordable natural gas. more jobs. less emissions. a good answer for everyone. so with affordable energy that we can get to safely... we could afford to eat out more often.
9:58 am
our daughter likes my cooking. don't you lori... lori? [ male announcer ] we're not employers or employees. not white collar or blue collar or no collars. we are business in america. and every day we awake to the same challenges. but at prudential we're helping companies everywhere find new solutions to manage risk, capital and employee benefits, so american business can get on with business. ♪ a ballerina is raising the bar in the white world of ballet. we meet misty copeland, an inspiring young dancer encouraging young girls of color to stay on their toes.
9:59 am
misery copeland isn't your average ballerina. she's the first black female soloist for the american ballet theater in more than 20 years. >> i think that most people's idea of what a classical ballerina is is a white woman, very thin, petite without curves. >> reporter: outside the ballerina world, curvy may not be the word used to describe misty but she is reshaping the idea of what a ballerina should look like. >> a lot of the challenges i think black women in ballet face are feeling like you don't look like the people around you. >> reporter: copeland began dancing at age 13 and was often the only black girl in her dance classes. she says race wasn't an issue when she fell in love with ballet. >> i never questioned myself. i never thought i'm not a ballerina because i don't look like the girl next to me.

136 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on